after independence, a signals and radar school was
established in 1948 on the premises of an abandoned WW II
airfield on the outskirts of Karachi, called Malir after a
neighboring village. The school was to train all future
radio and radar technicians of the PAF. The instructional
staff was provided by a British company, International Air
Radio Ltd (IAL). In 1949 PAF Malir was raised to station
status, Squadron Leader A Salaam Butt being the first
station commander. Offices of the station headquarters were
housed in the building now occupied by PAF Model School.
The initial role of the station was to exercise
administrative and supervisory control over the training
activities of the Signals and Radar School, which was later
to be called School of Electronics (SOE). The following
year, a maintenance depot was also raised at the base with
its administrative control vested in the station commander.
A facility to train signals officers at Malir was added in
1957, and Pakistani officers and SNCOs took over the entire
training task of the school from the IAL staff in 1959. In
1963 the SOE moved out to nearby Korangi Creek air base to
join its sister institution the School of Aeronautics.
Immediately after 1965, a ground combater wing was
established and placed under the administrative control of
PAF Station Malir; in subsequent years 8 new units were
located there. The present role of the base is to keep all
its lodger units in a high state of preparedness for their
wartime roles. During both the 1965 and 1971 wars, the air
base fully met or exceeded its assigned commitments, and
supported its field units by efficiently organizing several
logistic points throughout the country.
The first Aero-modeling club in the PAF was established by
Flight Lieutenant S R H Naqvi at the Signals and Radar
School in 1953. The club was inaugurated by Air Vice Marshal
L W Cannon, the C-in-C PAF.
From the early-1970s to date, the base has assumed
additional responsibilities for training and maintaining the
PAF's mobile elements in a high state of readiness. The base
has grown substantially during recent years and the small
village of Malir is now a fast expanding township.