squadron moved from Mauripur to Peshawar on 11th January,
1958 with RT-33 aircraft to be deployed on
photo/reconnaissance duties, but subsequently it moved to
Sargodha. It carried extensive aerial photography of tasks
both of strategic and national interest, and played a vital
role in photographing the Northern Areas and the Indus
Basin. In the 1965 war with India, the squadron with Sqn.
Ldr. M. M. Ahmed in command flew 60 sorties of 73:15 hours,
including 24 photographic combat missions; 2498 negatives
and 5808 prints were produced. Pilots who photographed enemy
positions included Sqn. Ldr. M. M. Ahmed, Flt. Lt. A. A.
Khawaja, Flg. Off. Ehtisham and Flg. Off. Inam.
The squadron continued to make valuable contribution in the
field of aerial reconnaissance until April, 1972 when its
aircraft, airmen, maintenance equipment, aerial cameras and
other associated equipment was moved to No. 2 Squadron where
a photo recce flight was established. It was also decided to
resuscitate No. 20 Squadron as Tactical Attack and Recce
Squadron, and on 15th June, 1977, the officers of No. 8
Squadron were posted to No. 20 Squadron with Wg. Cdr. Khalid
Iqbal GD (P) as its first Officer Commanding; and on 21st
August, 1977, two Mirage aircraft were allotted to it. The
squadron has been tasked with the role of day/night photo
recce and day bombing and strafing. Located at Rafiqui base
the squadron has moved into the old building of No. 11
Squadron. It received its first consignment of four
Mirage-III RP aircraft on 26th and 27th October, 1977. The
squadron operated seven aircraft in the Pakistan Day Parade
fly-past held in Peshawar on 23rd March, 1978; it was
presented the Squadron Colour on 6th April, 1978.