Untitled Document
[:: Navigation ::]
 
 
 
  Main | PAF s' Squadrons
PAF s' Squadrons

No. 23 Air Superiority Squadron History: 1947-1982

Commissioned on 1st March, 1961, the squadron was initially located at Kohat and was at that time flying Fury, the last of the propeller fighter-bombers. Its early role was mainly close support for Army with interludes of anti-locust operations. It was reduced to number plate basis on 14th March, 1964, but was re-formed at Sargodha on 8th February, 1966 with the new work horse of PAF - the Chinese built F-6 aircraft. Intensive flying was carried out and pilots of No. 5 and No. 9 squadrons were attached to it for training purposes. The squadron participated in the 1971 war with India under the command of Wing Commander S. M. H. Hashmi. For its long record of professional excellence, it was named as No. 23 Air Superiority Squadron on 2nd January, 1975. The Squadron moved to Shorkot on September 16, 1977 for activation of PAF Rafiqui Airfield and returned to the base on September 29, 1977.

[ Back ]